Thursday, July 28, 2016

Tips for Back to School Shopping

Back to School time was always one of my favorite times of year as a kid. Yes, there was the dreaded early alarms, impending homework, but there was also a lot of excitement. You never knew what the new school year was going to hold. My absolute favorite part of back to school was always going shopping!


I loved picking out new school supplies (still do) and it was so fun to pick out the perfect back to school outfit. The whole first week I would wear my brand new clothes from Old Navy and Justice (anyone else remember back to school shopping here?) because I was so excited. Then came the four years of high school where I had to wear a uniform everyday (now I see that as a blessing). Now that I'm in college and get to wear whatever I want everyday, I still love finding the perfect clothes for the start of the year.

In my opinion, shopping days can be totally hit or miss. To help you have the best back to school shopping experience, I wanted to offer up some of my favorite tips!

// know what you need //

Back to school (or back to college) is a great time to clean out your closet and take inventory of what you have and what you need. Maybe your jeans from last year got worn to death or that perfect white tee has a massive coffee stain. Pass on or toss out those items and go pick out new ones. This year I knew I really needed a new pair of jeans, and I ended up finding the most amazing jeans for my body type.

// wear neutral undergarments that fit //

This is probably the most important shopping tip in my opinion. Making sure everything is neutral underneath is the best way to be able to focus on the new items you're trying on. Also, if your undergarments are too tight and emphasizing certain areas, it won't help you see the true fit of an item. Making sure all the under things are neutral and fit right will make a world of difference when trying on clothes.

// wait a while after eating //

I was going to say eat light if you're doing a marathon shopping day and need to break for food at some point, but no, eat whatever the heck you want! Just wait a little bit to try on clothes after you eat. Work off the food baby by trying on shoes or finding your new school bag. The jeans that are just a smidgen too tight with a food baby might fit perfectly otherwise. You don't want to not get something you love or buy the wrong size so just take a little time then go back to finding the perfect pair of skinny jeans.

// don't get hung up on a number //

People say this a lot when talking about the number on the scale, but it's equally true on a pair of jeans. I have clothes that range from size 2 to size 8. That's a huge range! At every single store clothes will fit differently. It's good to know what size you wear at your favorite store, but don't be upset if that same size is too tight somewhere else. It's just a number. All that matters is that you're comfortable and you are happy in clothes that fit you.

// don't get something just because it's trendy //

Sure if you love the cold shoulder top and see yourself wearing it a bunch, then go ahead and get it. But don't decide that you should get trendy pieces just because it's what you've seen it all over Pinterest. Save your money to buy pieces you're comfortable in and want to wear constantly. Your style is completely yours so find pieces that suit you, not trends.

// take advantage of sales //

This one is sort of a "duh!" tip, but this time of year there are so many sales. My inbox gets at least 15 new emails everyday of stores having different sales. Pay attention to when your favorite places are having sales and take advantage of your state's tax free weekend if it has one! No need to break the bank back to school shopping!

// use the buddy system //

I think the best way to shop is with someone else. Whether it's your mom or best friend, having someone with you who will be honest when that dress really isn't flattering for your body type or will encourage you to try something outside of your comfort zone. Personally, when I shop alone I have a tendency to be a lot more critical on myself and my body. We can be our own worst critic and it helps to have someone who can assure you when something looks great on you.

Wishing you happy shopping and a fabulous back to school season!

No comments :

Post a Comment