Thursday, April 7, 2016

Reasons to Smile

One year ago today, I lost one of the most important people in my life - my wonderful grandfather, Sir. He was a sweet, generous man, an American hero, a loving husband, father and grandfather. He was strong and kind. He had the biggest sweet tooth (which I have inherited). He taught me so much, and encouraged all of his grandchildren in all of our endeavors. I am so thankful for having such an amazing person in my life while I was growing up, but I still think about and miss him everyday. 


But today I do not want to be sad I about missing him. After all, for as long as I can remember Sir called my his Granddaughter Smiles. So today I am honoring him by reminding myself of all (or as many as I could think of) my reasons, big and small, to smile.

- Amazing parents who have always supported me
- Knowing my parents will always be there to take care of me when I need them
- 3 siblings that I continue to become better friends with
- My two lovely grandmothers who have taught me so much about grace, etiquette, literature, good music and so much more
- Long conversations catching up with my Oma
- Many more loving family members
- My sweet, wonderful boyfriend who I wish my grandfather got to meet
- My best friend, Sara, who has stuck with me through the awkward years
- The most entertaining group of girls I have gotten to live with this year
- Kappa Alpha Theta for introducing me to all of them 
- Getting the best high school education I could have imagined
- I go to the greatest university and couldn't imagine being anywhere else
- I have learned and grown so much in my two years here
- Being a semester away from getting my Clemson ring!!!!!!
- The Tiger Paw being back on Bowman yesterday
- Clemson football will be back in 5 months
- Getting to learn about things I'm interested in from professors I love
- Finding my place at Clemson
- Getting to serve my sorority as New Member Director
- The 12 fantastic girls I was able to guide through that opportunity
- My sorority family for always being there for me 
- Fam dinners at Monterrey's
- Dance practices with my crazy, wonderful sisters 
- Becoming friends with the brothers of Delta Chi
- Being on the beach in two days
- Having only two weeks left of classes
- Getting to be home with my family in just about three weeks
- Being able to see my big brother get his senior boots at Texas A&M
- Getting to watch him represent Texas A&M as a yell leader in the fall
- Bonding with my sister every Monday
- Watching my little brother grow up and out grow me
- Always knowing there is room for a cookie
- Today being a gorgeous April day
- The blooming tulips outside of Tillman
- The view from my window
- A sweet roommate who puts up with me and my habits all the time
- Coffee
- Spring time and spring clothes
- Getting to dress up this weekend
- Red dresses
 - Stepping outside of my comfort zone and dancing in front of a bunch of people tomorrow
-  Not knowing what the future holds, but being excited about it anyway
- Knowing that God has a plan
- Being happy, healthy, and content in my life 
- Having 3 amazing grandparents as guardian angels

There are so many more reasons for me to smile, but this all I could think of at the moment.

I'll leave you with words of wisdom from Sir, "life is short, eat dessert first."

No comments :

Post a Comment