Sunday, August 9, 2015

What to Expect on Move In Day!

The day all college freshmen are looking forward to is quickly approaching...move in day! I know some places might have moved in already (crazy!!!!), but the majority haven't yet so this is my advice. Move in day is hectic and fun and exhausting, but it's your first real day on your college campus as a student, so get excited!!!


Here's what you need to know, as well as some tips and advice!

1. Be prepared for a long day.
I think my scheduled move in time (that pretty much no one else actually listened to) was 9am. So that's what time my parents and I rolled up to my dorm. I don't think we were completely done setting up, including running out to Target and other places to get things, until around 11pm. (It didn't take everyone that long, but my parents were leaving the next day so we really only had the one day to make sure everything was good to go). So get plenty of sleep the night before, eat a big breakfast and get ready to take on the day!

2. Make a good first impression.
You will meet tons of people on move in day, so make sure to smile and be friendly. Also be conscious of what you're wearing. This is the first time you're meeting your new friends, don't look like a slob. You also don't need to be in a dress and wedges to carry boxes up and down four flights of stairs. Be comfortable and cute! I wore a cute t shirt, jean shorts and keds with my hair up and a little makeup, cute yet functional. 

3. Be the (wo)man with a plan!!
Have a general idea of where you want things to go in your dorm and remember how you packed things. You don't want to spend 30 minutes trying to find pillow cases because you forgot where they are. It also helps to pack similar things together. Also know going in if you're going to loft your bed, if there are items you'll still need to buy and other things like that. Having a plan for the day and for how you want things arranged will make everything go smoother.

4. Let your parents help.
They're sending their baby off to college and they want to make sure that you're safe and happy before they leave you. Ask your dad to help loft your bed or hang up something on the wall. Ask your mom if she could help you unpack your clothes. They want to help so let them, they'll appreciate it and it's less you have to do.

5. Keep your door open and say hi to neighbors.
This one is pretty self explanatory. Keeping your door open is more inviting so people might poke their heads in to see how you're decorating or you can wave to them as they pass in the hall. These girls (or guys) are going to be the people you live next to all year so it's best to be friendly with them, even if they're not your best friends. 

6. Don't have unrealistic expectations.
This is so so important to realize so that you don't end up upset on move in day, your dorm will most likely not look like the Pottery Barn dorm catalog or the pictures you see on Pinterest. I really liked how my dorm turned out but it definitely wasn't what I envisioned. My roommate and I decided on a color scheme, which I was a little bit more strict to sticking to when I bought things. Our stuff didn't match perfectly, but that's okay. We each had our own space that we liked, so that's all that mattered. Just feel comfortable in your room and everything will be okay! Besides all you really need your dorm for is sleeping!

Best of luck to everyone who is moving in soon!

2 comments :

  1. I wish I could have read this before moving in last year, these are awesome tips! Luckily I know what I'm doing (I think) this year haha :)

    ~Emma
    Seacoast to the South

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started looking at your blog and I will definitely keep reading! It's super cute!

    XOXO Cat
    readthebyrdbook.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete